What is a wedge shoe?
Wedge shoes are a type of shoe that is different from platforms in that the bottom of the shoe extends from the front to the back, with a raised heel. This serves as both the sole and the heel, providing the lift of a pump while also offering stability and support. Wedge shoes can be made from a variety of materials, including leather, suede, and canvas, and are available in a variety of colors and styles.
A bit of history behind wedge shoes
Shoe fashion changed in the early 1940s due to rationing and restrictions caused by World War II. With many men fighting overseas, women became the primary bread-winners of households and needed practical, yet inexpensive shoes for work.
One such example of a restricted material was leather. Leather became entirely unavailable as it was devoted to the war. Another reason for the changing shoe fashions was the restriction placed on heel height. To gain height, ‘wedgies’, a cork-heeled wedge shoe, became a popular design. The style has remained popular throughout the years and shows no signs of waning in popularity anytime soon.
The appeal of wedges
What is the appeal of wearing wedge shoes? To start with, Beauty shouldn’t equal pain. Wedges give you that stylishness without any added pain while still giving you extra height and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Wedges have evolved over time and since they are so versatile you will be able to wear them throughout the year. Men can also wear wedge shoes
Additionally, they are also comfortable to wear – a rarity when it comes to fashionable shoes! Wedges have a flat surface that touches the ground; thus, your feet are getting more surface area to touch. In this way, you are getting more stability and also not straining your ball of the foot much. Wedges have been found to relax the calf muscle a bit, reducing the linked tension on the plantar fascia.
Types of Wedges
There are many choices available if you are in the market for a new wedge shoe. The following is a survey of some of the more common types of wedges for women and men.
- Wedge Heels – Wedge heels are frequently worn as a substitute for more traditional heels such as stilettos, pumps, or mules. They can make an outfit look more formal like a traditional heel, but they are easier to balance because the weight is evenly distributed across the sole
- Wedge Pumps – Wedge pumps provide the alluring appearance of pumps but with a sturdier heel that gives off a more conservative look.
- Wedge Sneakers – Wedge sneakers are stylish, comfortable, and can help tone your legs if worn regularly. They are a great way to add a touch of personality to a simple outfit.
- Wedge Boots/Booties – Wedge boots or booties for women provide more ankle support and stability than heels.
- Closed-Toe Wedges – Closed-toe wedges offer more protection than wedge sandals, making them an ideal choice for the colder months.
- Low Wedges – Low wedges have less height and are often considered a safer shoe option for people with weak ankles or those who do not need the extra lift.
- T-Strap Wedges – T-strap wedges are a widely-loved summer shoe, distinguished by a T-shaped strap that goes from the toe to the ankle.
- Ankle Strap Wedges – Ankle strap wedges feature a fabric strap or straps that wrap around the ankle for support and aesthetic appeal. These straps are often adjustable.
- Platform Wedges – Platform wedges can improve the look of any outfit with decorative features like printed fabrics, coloured trim, ruffled material, or satin uppers.
- Wedge Sole Work Boots – Wedge sole work boots boast a sole that extends the whole length of the outsole, without any gap beneath the arch. Although these boots are generally not as tough as those with traditional lug soles, they’re useful for many types of work.
Are Heels and Wedges the Same Thing?
There are clear differences between heels and wedges, even though they may look similar at first glance. The most significant distinction between the two types of shoes with elevation relates to the soles.
In high heel shoes, the heel is separate from the sole, and there is a visible arch between the heel and toe. With a wedge, the outsole is one continuous, solid wedge shape that is elevated at the heel and then tapers down to the toe.
Wedge shoes are a fun and versatile option when you want to change up your style. They provide the comfort of a flat with the added aesthetic appeal of heels. They are also known to help reduce the long-term health risks associated with wearing traditional high heels. If you are looking for a new type of shoe to add to your wardrobe, wedge shoes are definitely worth a try. You won’t be disappointed!